Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Time For a Bed Time Story, My Little Lambs....

YOU NEED TO SEE THIS!!
http://littledemocrats.net/

Once upon a time, there was this man who thought it would be great to brainwash children with his political beliefs (before they could grow up and think for themselves). This man wrote about cute little squirrels who always played fair and did what was right. Those saintly little critters called themselves "Democrats", and were the purest and best creatures in the land. Everyone else who disagreed with the Democrats were bad, uncaring, and WRONG. Mostly they were elephants called Republicans.
Then, one day, the evil elephants sat on the squirrels and made them into stew. Th' End!!! :P

I've been corresponding via e-mail with the author of these books ("Why Mommy is a Democrat," " Why Daddy is a Democrat"). I have no problem with the cute little critters and the author proclaiming how great the Democrats are. Well, I kinda of do, because it does imply that only Democrats play fair, care about people, and support policemen and firemen. But what I was extremely insulted with the subtle symbolism and undertones. Look at the sample pages.
Notice the elephant walking by, almost carelessly squishing the squirrel family. And the homeless man in the background of all the pictures...notice how the "snobby rich people" walk by, treating him like dirt. And the newspaper on the guy's bench, something about Bush. Is it me, or is he vilifying conservatives?
My first letter to him:
I’m not sure why you are trying to make conservatives into villains, but I do believe in playing fair, keeping people safe, and etc. I know PLENTY of Democrats that don’t want to play fair or keep people safe.

One Democrat I know is Mike Veon. He was a representative for Beaver County PA and gave himself a big fat pay raise when people in this county were trying to make ends meet. Do your research on this “fair player”. I think you will be impressed.

From reading your sample pages, I guess other things that Democrats believe in are backstabbing and brainwashing. I believe that you are UNFAIRLY grouping people into boxes that don’t fit.

(And on his website he says he uses "Non-judgemental" language in his books)Non-judgemental??? You know that a little child is going to have this mindset that Dems are nothing but good and everything else is evil and bad. That is the way children think.

You are not promoting unity, here. Kids need to be taught values and morals, not be brainwashed by politics.


His reply:
It's interesting that you talk about wanting to promote unity, but you've gone out of your way to tell me, someone you've never met, about a "bad" Democrat (as if I really needed to be informed that not every Democrat is good), and you appear to be trying to pick a fight with me. Perhaps you should practice what you preach before preaching it to others.

I used that example to show life is not black and white, as he portrays it. And expressing my opinion is "picking a fight"??

So...I wrote back....
You are teaching kids that things are black and white, not shades of grey. If there was a “Why My Mommy is an Republican” I would be just as disgusted.
That’s all I’m saying.

Peace.

But I wasn't satisfied with that wimpy reply, so I wrote yet another letter.....

It’s funny how you think I’m the one trying to “pick a fight” , when you are the one portraying conservatives as a bunch of heartless, dangerous stomping elephants and you Dems are the “cute little squirrels”. Oh and we hate the homeless people too, obviously. AND policemen and firemen. Your subtle symbolism and undertones is not lost on me. I admit I was a little upset at the time, and I should have expressed myself after I calmed down a bit. Sometimes my passion gets the better of me.

No, I never met you, and I try to represent everyone’s views. But this book you wrote obviously disrespects mine. It doesn’t just show what the Dems believe…it suggests that everyone else that disagrees with you are a bunch of evil, bad, uncaring people. I don’t believe that, and I don’t raise my children to believe that.

This is why I’m very sad about all this. Imagine someone writing a book about how white people are so nice and they believe in hard work, with some black people in the background of the illustration being lazy and mean. (Like the snobby rich white people walking by the homeless man.) It’s the same thing as far as I’m concerned and I’m extremely insulted.

But, hey, it’s America and it’s your right. We all have a right to be heard. Good luck with your books. If I were you, I’d donate your money to a nice charity, because Obama is proposing a change to raise the tax deductible on charity contributions; so people will be less likely to donate in the future.

Oh, and you need to stop being so defensive and realize just because someone wants to express an opinion, they aren’t necessarily “picking a fight”. I didn’t swear, threaten, or insult you.

Just answer me these two questions: Do you think all Republicans are bad? Can you deny this is what you want impressible children to think? Please, enlighten me. I’m serious, I really want to know.

Thank you for your time.

And he wrote back....

First of all, I'm white, so do you really think my intention was to insult white people? And I'd love to be rich (just like the Obamas, the Clintons, Warren Buffet, Bruce Springsteen, and lots of other Democrats), so do you really think my intention was to insult rich people? The difference between your example and the people in my book (who actually aren't doing anything other than minding their own business) is that nobody chooses to be black, and the fact that someone is black has no clear impact on anyone else's life. People do choose to be Republicans, however, and their choice affects public policy, so it affects everyone. Which is why I think it's important to make sure children understand why they ought to be Democrats.

No to the first question, and yes to the second. If I wanted children to believe all Republicans are bad, I'd have written it. There's a reason nobody in the book is doing anything especially bad, and a reason nobody in the book is labeled "Republican."Just answer me this one question: Have you shown any of my books to an impressionable child and asked "what is this book about"? Because, unless the child already has an impression of Republicans, the answer is going to be something about Democrats and/or Mommy or Daddy, and you won't hear anything about Republicans or conservatives being bad people.

Oi.

Duh, I know you weren't insulting white people. I just used that as an example to make a point. He won't address the symbolism he uses. He doesn't have to say "All Republicans are bad", his illustrations do it for him. I'm debating whether or not to write him back again. Frankly, I'm too busy having a life. However, I appreciate his reply and Thank God we still live in a country where he can express his views. I just hope we will have the same rights after Obama is done with us.....

I don't think all Democrats fit a box, I don't fit in a box. I care about people, the planet, and playing fair. There are bad politicians and good politicians, some that have values and morals, and some that don't.

I don't want the government taxing me to death, or telling me what school I have to send my kids to, or taking over my church because they don't agree with it.

Maybe I'm just a crazy elephant...

No comments:

Post a Comment