Friday, March 6, 2009

I Got Arrested For Ogling Hope and Change

I'm not sure you can tell or not, but I've been a tinny, tiny bit of a mood lately. Yes, this administration and bailouts have caused some of it. However, I think, for the most part, I'm a wanna-be "snowbird". I could stand one month of winter, and then I would like to move somewhere warm, like maybe Texas or the planet Mercury.
Winter is naturally indifferent to me, but my feelings for Winter are animosity, and bordering on psychotic fear. I breathe the warm air of Spring's promise and then my moment of happy bursts when I think, next winter is only 8 months away. Then, there is much hand wring and sighing. This phobia of winter has even invaded my summertime repose, as nightmares of endless blizzards. Phobias are usually fears of things that won't happen. My phobia is fear of something that definitely WILL happen. I have no peace.
Anyway, around February, I start looking for hope. I am a bird lover, and to me, the very symbol of hope and change is the common American Robin. Not so common in my mind, because it is one of the most beautiful sights a winter-hater like me can gaze upon. Its song is like a royal trumpet of Spring. One Robin is stunning and a flock is emotionally overwhelming.
Up until today, my search has been fruitless. We have had a few warm days here and there, but as far as I'm concerned, there is no hope for spring until I see that first Robin. I was getting a bit discouraged.
This morning, I took my new puppy, Dilly (a goldendoodle) for her daily walk/drag. She isn't a great walker yet, but we are slowly, painfully progressing. It was a fairly warm day, in the 50's, which lightened my heart a bit, but I was still skeptical for that hope of spring. My ears are always straining to hear that sweet warble or even twittering scold of My Springtide Bird. My eyes scanning every inch of yard and tree for that red color or familiar silhouette. Today, I wasn't disappointed. I heard it first; scolding call repeatedly, but not a tone of "Stay away", but rather, "Here I am....I'm finally here!" The poor dog was probably dragged a little more forcibly at this point, due to my eagerness to make sure my ears were truthful, and not just foolishly optimistic. There was just enough daylight to make out it's form, still announcing it's presence on a ornamental fence post. Still not satisfied, I had to get closer. I got as close as I dared, staring like a child stares at a ginormous, sparkly wrapped box on Christmas morning. As I gaped like a simpleton fool, I suddenly realized that beyond my stare was a house and their windows in my direct line of view. If anyone happened to look out one of those windows at this moment, they would see some hooded tall lady and her gagging fluff-ball of a dog, staring unabashedly right into their domicile.
I unwillingly turned my gaze away and moved on, still hungry to soak it all in, but not wanting to get a rep as the tall creepy lady who stares into people's houses. So, no, I didn't really get arrested....and yes, I'm sorry, I took a semi-break from political ranting.
If there is a moral here, it is this: Hope can be found in the simple things in life.
And... creepy tall ladies shouldn't stare too long at Robins.

No comments:

Post a Comment