Friday, March 20, 2009

Get My Coat...I'm Going to Go Shovel Some Global Warming!

My Grandmother Poulin is a spry 88 year old woman. She makes the best damn yeast rolls on the planet; old school, with real lard. You ask her for the recipe, she'll say, I don't have a recipe. The only way you can get the recipe is by watching her and writing down what she does. I did that, but my efforts to reproduce the "Rolls of Heaven" failed miserably.

Thoughts of these rolls are making both my eyes and mouth water, so I'll get to the point.

My Grandmother has a keen mind and a keener sense of humor. She lives back in Central Maine...

Ok, I want to stress CENTRAL , because Central and Northern Maine is where most of the real Mainers live, the Salt of the Earth. They haven't been completely taken over by the Mass-holes yet. Not yet. The weather and mosquitoes are deterring them a little, Thank God. Mosquitoes are our state bird, by the way. Oh please, do not let this deter YOU from a vacation to the beautiful state. They definitely need the Tourism revenue since it's one of the few industries left; Maine loves to tax businesses to the ground. If you want to survive in Maine, here are your three career choices: Medical industry, Government Job, or Wal-Mart....hey, could this be a glimpse into the the near future for the rest of the nation?

Anyway... I don't get to visit with her as often as I like to.

On the phone, usually we discuss three things: 1)the family, 2)politics and 3) the weather.

So, as always, I inquired about the weather, and she said, "Oh we have global warming here. I see two feet of it outside my window."

So we joked about how we should bring Al Gore up to Maine, plant him in a 10 foot snowbank for a week, and see how he feels about Global Warming then.

I'm no scientist, but I have a degree in Wildlife Ecology, and I definitely believe that man can have a negative impact on wildlife. I think we should all recycle, conserve, and be good stewards of the earth. What I DON'T agree with is this RABID Neo-Nazi movement to FORCE us into submission.

Here are some examples:

San Francisco's "Spare the Air" days, where they actually have "fireplace police" patroling to see if you have smoke coming from your chimney. Yes folks, you can get fined to lighting a fire in your fireplace.

10 cent tax for each plastic bag you use at the grocery store. Maine is proposing this, because apparently, they don't have enough to tax people on.

*************************And when I try to do the "right thing".**********************
Everyone is majorly pushing energy efficient light bulbs, which I use. Ok, I like using them and I have no problem with them. HOWEVER, they are supposed to be disposed of in a special way and in a special place because of the MERCURY inside them. Right now, I have 3 burned out bulbs that I have NO idea what to do with because there aren't any local recycling places for these bulbs. So, I could drive an hour and fill the air up with carbon in the process?!?

Can we say, lack of foresight?

Also, I would love to have solar panels on my home. I'm sick of paying the high electric bills (even with all my mercury-filled light bulbs!) I've been doing research and trying to get someone to give a quote. PA has no helpful info on this and the contractors I have contacted tell me that they don't cover my area.

*********************Finally here's a headline for you.***********************************
"Explorers On Global Warming Expedition Stranded in North Pole by Cold Weather"-Fox News
This is a real story. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,509735,00.html

No comments:

Post a Comment