Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Quote of the Day

We can't drive our SUVs and eat as much as we want and keep our homes on 72 degrees at all times... and then just expect that other countries are going to say OK. That's not leadership. That's not going to happen.- Obama

Umm, I think that is the scariest quote I have ever seen. I saw this looking for quotes on "Brainyquote. com" After further research, I found that this quote was said at a Oregon pre-election rally; he was trying to woo the environmental nazis, I guess.

AGAIN, I want to stress that I'm all for saving the planet. I love the little birds and trees and clean air. What I'm worried about is, and this quote renforces this concern, is our freedoms needlessly taken away for the sake of preserving the environment.

So....we can't drive SUV's. Ok, well, who wants to drive an SUV? They are gas hogs, and most people don't buy them anyway. That being said, I have a SUV, a kickin' black Mercury Mountainer. I love it; with the black paint and silver chrome, I call it my "Hip-HopMobile." However, it's practical too; with two kids, a dog, and a small business where I have to haul things back and forth, I don't think I could be without it. How the heck could I haul everyone and everything in one of those "smart cars"? I'd have to buy 2 or 3 smart cars to make up for it, and that defeats the point, doesn't it?

We CAN'T keep our house at 72 degrees? Since when is 72 degrees unreasonable? I mean, other people gasp when I tell them that I keep my house at 64 degrees in the winter. And believe me, it's a little chilly, but we have to do what we have to do to keep in our means. I can't imagine how much our energy bill is going to jump once this "cap and trade" bill is in effect.

Sounds like he is talking about...and correct me if I'm wrong, not just kindly suggesting that we , as individuals, should try to be good stewards and conserve when and where we can. The idea that is coming cross here is, that he (as a good leader) intends to FORCE conservation. How? By raising taxes on energy providers. If that doesn't work, he may introduce laws that will fine individuals that use more than their fair share of energy every month. If you are a little chilly or your child is sick, and you turn your thermostat to 73 for a few days, the government will slap you with a $100 fine. Or maybe, they will make sure furnaces CAN'T go above 72 degrees by installing chips that will automatically turn off furnaces above a certain temperature.

As far as not eating as much as we want, maybe the Era of Solvent Green is here. Ok, that's gross, but seriously...

Will he start rationing food? Will we get a food allowance? What the heck does he intend to do to stop us from getting our fill of food?

Look, he's not saying "you people should do this, and I suggest this.." He is saying "THAT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN". You have no choice. You WILL comply.

No comments:

Post a Comment